NOW TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR FALL 2019!
The application deadline for Fall 2019 enrollment is July 1, 2019.
If you’re interested in MADI at any time, we’d love to talk to you!
Please contact us directly if you have any questions about the application process.
1. Complete the graduate application: Fill out all required fields and submit the online application.
2. $75 application fee: After submitting your application, you will be able to pay this fee from your application status page.
3. Submit an updated professional resume
4. Upload unofficial transcripts: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application purposes.
If admitted, note that official transcripts will be required upon admission to SMU for each college or university attended. If more than one college or university appears on your graduating transcript, you still need the official transcript from each and every school attended. Please send your official transcripts to the following address:
Graduate Application Processing PO Box 518 Dallas TX 75275-0518
5. Recommendations: We ask for 2 – these are from people who can speak to your tolerance for ambiguity, ability to collaborate with others, and willingness to think independently. You can choose people from professional or academic backgrounds (including a peer or colleague). We also hope each recommendation will provide a reflection of you in light of our program’s core values.
6. Statement of Purpose: There are several things we would like to learn about you. Please make sure your statement of purpose answers the following questions. What are you passionate about? What makes you an exceptional candidate for MADI? What is missing from your life right now that you hope to find through MADI? What greater purpose does this degree serve in your professional future?
7. Additional materials: You are welcome to submit supplementary materials that either provide a different take on the statement of purpose, or tell us more about you. Our application system can accept PNG and PDF. Please include any video links in your application. If you have any issues, email us at email@example.com.
MADI students are passionate, talented, and adaptive. We look for high caliber students looking to enhance their current knowledge with design and innovation skills to launch a startup, make a career transition, or standout to employers as capable innovators.
Applicants are required to submit a personal statement. This is considered a deciding factor in the acceptance of MADI students and should express the unique skills and interests of applicants. The personal statement can be in any medium such as a traditional written document, a portfolio, or work of art. Files and web-links should be included with the application.
Enrollment in the MADI program requires applicants to have a bachelor’s degree from an institution of standard collegiate rank, recognized by the accrediting agencies in whose jurisdiction the college is located.
Applicants of colleges not fully recognized will be treated as special cases and required to produce evidence attesting to the quality of their programs. Any student whose bachelor’s degree is not equivalent to the comparable baccalaureate degree from Southern Methodist University may be required to take sufficient additional work to make up for the deficiency.
International applicants may be required to take a TOEFL test (or equivalent) prior to admission.
Students who have not yet completed their bachelor’s degree may be pre-admitted to the program and may take up to three master’s level courses in the program before the conferral of their undergraduate degree. Students must be admitted and approved to take these courses before any coursework will count toward the Master of Arts in Design and Innovation degree.
All applicants are required to have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and complete all university requirements for application.